Friday, January 13, 2017

Patriots Day


Plot-
Based on the 2013 Boston Marathon Bombing and its aftermath. Sergeant Tommy Saunders (Mark Wahlberg) joins the manhunt to find the two brothers responsible for this horrific  attack. 

Pros:
•Peter Berg has found his niche in movies based on real events. And his muse in Mark Wahlberg. I really liked Lone Survivor. Haven't seen Deep Water Herizon but now I'm definitely going to. Berg is forgiven for Battleship as far as I'm concerned. 
•Going into this movie I was so afraid it would be emotionally manipulative but it wasn't. I think it was very respectful to the city of Boston and all the victims. 
•The movie mainly focuses on the aftermath of the bombing and how everyone came together to find those two monsters. We all know what the outcome was but Berg does an amazing job keeping the tension going. Everything from the way the scenes were shot (one of the few uses of shaky cam that didn't make me want to throw up) to the score by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross kept me on the edge of my seat and my eyes glued to the screen. 
•Well acted, especially Mark Wahlberg. You can tell how much he cares about this subject and he acts his ass off. Very realistic in the sense of how someone would react when out in a situation like this. He's a good actor. 
• I thought it was really interesting how the mixed in real footage into the scenes they shot. It's done so flawlessly that for the most part you can't tell which is which. 

Cons:
•As much as I liked this movie, it's still too soon. This event only happened 3 years ago. I think they should've waited at least a few more years. 
•While for the most part it's accurate to what happened, there are some instances where they dramatized things. I'm fine with that since I know that'll happen anytime you turn a real event into a movie. My problem was with one scene in particular where I felt like they overdid it a bit. It was heading into Michael Bay territory for a split second. 
•Some of the actors attempts at a Boston accent were so bad it was distracting. 

My Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment