Friday, January 27, 2017

Split

Plot- 
Three girls (Anya-Taylor Joy, Haley Lu Richardson, and Jessica Sula) are kidnapped by Kevin (James McAvoy)- a man with 23 personalities. They must work together and try to figure out which one of the personalities will help them escape. 

Pros:
•After really enjoying M. Night Shyamalan's last movie The Visit, he earned another chance with me. And now I can officially say he's back in my good graces. PLEASE Shyamalan, don't fuck this up again. Stick to what you know- low budget horror/thrillers. You're really good at it. 
•James McAvoy... wow!!! He was incredible. Not too many actors can pull off what he did here. I really enjoyed seeing him play all these different personalities. My favorite was definitely Hedwig. 
•Anya-Taylor Joy was impressive as well (the last thing I saw her in was The Witch which she was good in too). She has a lot of potential as an actress. It'll be interesting to see what she does next. 
•The way they were able to do a lot with such a low budget. 
•I really want to say more but I don't think I can without giving away some major spoilers. I highly recommend this especially if you're a fan of Shyamalan's earlier work. He's back! Hopefully for good. 

Cons:
•The only thing stopping me from liking this movie more is the ending. Not the twist or anything, I was fine with that. What I mean is that it just kept dragging on and on. Just when I thought they were wrapping things up, something else would happen. Made me roll my eyes a few times and say to myself, "God damn it just end already. Enough!" I really hate when movies do this. 

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment