Sunday, April 23, 2017

Frantz

Plot:
Following WWI, a young German woman named Anna (Paula Beer) is mourning the loss of her fiancé. One day she meets a mysterious Frenchman (Pierre Niney) who has been visiting her fiancé's grave. 

Pros:
•This is one of the most beautiful looking films I've seen in awhile. Most of it is in black & white but there's a handful of scenes in color spread throughout. The director did a flawless job transitioning from one to the other. 
•Very well written and heartbreaking story. 
•I thought it was interesting and insightful the way they showed the effects WWI had on both the Germans and the French. 
•Outstanding performances by both lead actors. 
•Wasn't as predictable as I thought it might be. I thought I had the twist all figured out but when it's revealed I was like "Oh shit. It all makes sense now."

Cons:
•Dragged a little bit towards the end. If they had just cut maybe 10 minutes it would've been a damn near flawless movie. 

My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment