Friday, July 14, 2017

War for the Planet of the Apes

Plot:
Caesar (Andy Serkis) is forced into a deadly battle  against an army of humans led by The Colonel (Woody Harrelson). This battle will determine the fate of both species. 

Pros:
•Wow!! I know it's still early, but this was easily the best movie I've seen this year. An amazing conclusion to what I think is one of the best trilogies ever. 
•Groundbreaking visual effects. It's amazing to see how far we've come along in this department. It looks so real and to be honest, all the motion capture actors here gave way better performances than others that you physically see on screen. Speaking of which...
•When is the Academy going to wake the fuck up and give Andy Serkis the recognition he deserves. Motion capture IS acting. 
•It's been amazing to watch the character of Caesar grow from who he was in the first movie to this one. It makes sense for his character to end up where he did. 
•You would think a movie with the word War in the title would be nothing but action but while there are some great action sequences, there's plenty of quiet, dramatic scenes as well. Some of which have no dialogue. Not many movies could pull it off but this one does. 
•One actor that surprised me was Steve Zahn (an actor who I haven't always been the biggest fan of) as Bad Ape. His character is technically the comic relief but it's never over the top or takes you out of the movie. But I never laughed for too long because you can tell that Bad Ape has been through so much and I felt sorry for him. I teared up quite a bit during his scenes. This whole movie was really an emotional punch in the gut. I dare anyone to watch it and not cry. 
•Woody Harrelson was not the stereotypical villain I feared he would be. There's just enough depth to his character. Always been one of my favorite actors. 
•THIS is how you do a proper reboot. Movie studios take note. 
•Strong directing by Matt Reves. 
•Almost two and a half hours but it sure didn't feel like it. My eyes were glued to the screen the entire time. 
•There's so much more I want to say but I don't want to spoil this wonderful movie. 

Cons:
•NONE!! Everyone stop what you're doing and go see this. You won't regret it. 

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment