Friday, February 2, 2018

Phantom Thread

Plot:
Reynolds Woodcock (Daniel Day Lewis) is a world renown dressmaker whose life is suddenly disrupted when he meets a strong willed woman named Alma (Vicky Krieps). 

Pros:
•I’ll give Paul Thomas Anderson this much, his movies are always gorgeous. This one being no exception. The cinematography alone is absolutely stunning. 
•Supposedly this is Daniel Day Lewis final role. Although I’ll believe it when I see it since so many celebrities say they’re retiring and then pop up again years later. Anyway, he was good here. Although it’s far from great. So why am I putting this in the pros section? Because it’s Daniel Day Lewis. Even a performance that isn’t his best is still a million times better than most actors out there. 
•The supporting cast was good as well. 
•So many beautiful dresses! Major props to the costume department. 

Cons:
•The movie just dragged...and dragged...and dragged. Had I not drank an iced coffee just before seeing this I probably would’ve nodded off. I don’t have a problem with slow movies but good god was this a chore to get through! 
•I left the theater feeling not mad but detached. Maybe that was the point of the movie but I still wish I was able to connect with the characters in some form. 
•If I didn’t make it a point to see all of the Best Picture nominees every year I most likely wouldn’t have watched this. At least not in theaters anyway. 
•That ending.... what in the actual fuck?!?!

My Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment