Sunday, June 2, 2019

Red Joan

Plot:

80 year old Joan Stanley (Judi Dench) is exposed as the KGB’s longest serving British spy. Based (very loosely apparently) on a true story. 


Pros:

•Right off the bat the movie tells you that it’s “inspired by a true story”. Normally something like that might annoy me but not in this case. Red Joan is such a well made and fascinating movie that it didn’t matter. 

•Judi Dench is great as always. She’s the main reason I wanted to see this. But she’s way more of a supporting character than I thought she would be. The movie is mainly told in flashbacks and features Sophie Cookson as a young Joan. She’s actually a pretty good actress and does a nice job in the role. 

•The costumes and sets are gorgeous as well as the music score. 

•Well directed and moves at a decent pace. 

•If you’re a fan of period pieces I think you’ll enjoy this. 


Cons:

•Nothing major really. I did feel however that the movie could’ve been a bit longer. It’s such an interesting story that I didn’t want it to end. 

•A few of the supporting characters were a bit weak and could’ve used more development. 


My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment