Sunday, July 24, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger (3D)

Hell yeah! Another awesome superhero movie :) I really enjoyed this as you can tell.

I'll admit, when I first heard that Chris Evans was going to play Steve Rogers/Captain America, I wasn't crazy about it. Not that I don't think Chris is a good actor (I usually like his movies) I just didn't think he could pull it off. Boy was I wrong. He did a great job.

The movie takes place during World War two. Steve wants to join the army but keeps getting rejected because of his size. To pull this off, the director uses digital effects to make Chris appear smaller than he actually is. It looked a little weird to me at first but I got use to it. Anyway, one night a doctor (played by Stanley Tucci. The role isn't all that big but it's important) overhears Steve talking and decides that he's perfect candidate for a program that's trying to create an army of "super soldiers". To make a long story short, Steve finally gets to be in the army and they turn him into Captain America. He can run faster, beat the crap outta Nazis,etc.

What I liked about this movie was that it wasn't just action & explosions (although there's plenty of that too). The story was really interesting.

The movie is far from perfect however. I won't even talk about the cheesy dialog since that's usually what you find in a lot of superhero movies. My issue was with the chemistry between Chris Evans and the actress who plays his love interest. Unlike in Thor (where Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman had great chemistry, it just wasn't that believe. Also, and this isn't really a big deal, I thought the effects used to make the villain Red Skull looked ridiculous. I just couldn't take the actor seriously and started laughing (if you've seen it you know what I mean).

Be on the look out for another awesome Samuel L Jackson cameo. That guy is just totally bad ass no matter what he's in.

As far as the 3D goes, it was hit or miss with me. Some scenes looked really great while others I had to keep looking over my glasses to see if it was still a 3D movie I was watching.

PLEASE be sure to stay until after the credits. There's a really awesome teaser trailer for The Avengers movie. Made me really excited about it. I can't wait til May 2012! :)

My Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment