Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows part 2 (IMAX 3D)

I've been a huge Harry Potter fan for years and have been looking forward to this movie for months. I wasn't disappointed at all. Deathly Hallows part 2 was amazing.

My friends & I went to the midnight premiere in IMAX 3D. We all dressed up in costumes (I was Tonks). It was great. The theater was sold out of course, but for once I didn't mind. The excitement & energy amongst the crowd... I can't even begin to describe it. Everyone seemed really nice. Unlike the crowds at a certain other movie fanchise who's name I won't mention.

I won't go too much into the plot since I don't want the spoiler police after me. Anyway, part 2 starts right where part 1 left off. Voldermort (played brilliantly by Ralph Fiennes) has stolen the Elder Wand from Dumbledore's grave. Harry, Ron, & Hermione are looking for & destroying Voldermort's remaining Horcruxes.

This movie is pretty much action, action, and more action. The Battle of Hogwarts in particular was spectacular.

My favorite thing about the movie though was the acting. Daniel, Rupert, & Emma were all great of course, but Alan Rickman really shines as Snape. He gives, in my opinion, his best performance to date. I really think he deserves and Oscar nomination for this. The Snape scenes were my favorite parts of this movie (as well as the book). David Yates, the director, did a great job bringing them to life.

Visually, the movie is gorgeous and should definitely be seen in IMAX if you have an IMAX theater in your area.

The music was really good too. Alexandre Desplat returns after already doing the score for part 1. I'll admit, I wasn't sure how he would do scoring a mostly action movie (which I don't think he's done before) but he did a beautiful job. There's several new songs as well as songs from the previous movies.

Overall, they stay very close to the book. Obviously some changes were made but they didn't really bother me. But pretty much every scene that fans loved in the book was included. Walking out of the theater, I didn't hear anyone complaining.

As far as the 3D, while it wasn't necessary, I thought was pretty good. Especially the scene at Grinotts.

I definitely recommend this movie to all my fellow Harry Potter fans. It was amazing. But I can't help but feel sad. This was it. It feels like a part of my childhood has just died. But it was a fitting end to the series. I know these books & movies will be enjoyed for generations to come.

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment