Friday, September 2, 2016

The Light Between Oceans

Plot:
Based on the novel by M.L. Stedman. A lighthouse keeper named Tom (Michael Fassbender) and his wife Isabel (Alicia Vikander) find a baby girl in a rowboat off the coast of Western Australia. Do they keep the child (after Isabel has already suffered several miscarriages) or report the incident to the authorizes? Their decision will have heartbreaking consequences. 

Pros:
•Alicia Vikander and Michael Fassbender. Wow! Such powerful performances. They had very believable chemistry here and I'm not surprised at all that they're a couple in real life. 
•When I first heard they were making this movie, I was surprised to find out that Derek Cianfrance would be directing given that the last movie I saw of his (The Place Beyond the Pines, which I highly recommend) was very different. But after seeing this, you can tell it was done by him by the camera work and color tones. Also, it's similar to The Place Beyond the Pines in the sense that they both deal with choices being made years ago coming back to haunt you. 
•This makes it two weeks in a row where I've heard another beautiful score by Alexandre Desplat. 
•Everyone is talking about Alicia Vikander and rightfully so. But I think Rachel Weiz gives just as good a performance. Wouldn't be surprised if they both were nominated come award season. 

Cons: 
•The first half was kind of a chore to get through. I don't mind slow movies at all but god damn. How many shots of a sunset/rise do you need??? Luckily the movie picks up a bit in the second half. 
•This movie could also be called "Michael Fassbender Stares Out at the Ocean for Nearly Two & a Half Hours". Fassbender is a gorgeous man and I love looking at him, but it got ridiculous after awhile. 

My Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment