Friday, November 25, 2016

Moonlight

Plot-
A story told in three parts that chronicles the life of a young black man named Chiron as he struggles to find his place in the world. 

Pros:
•A very well written coming of age story told from a perspective that we don't normally see in movies. 
•Strong acting not only from the first two actors to play Chiron (Alex Hibbert when he was a kid and Ashton Sanders as a teenager) but from the supporting cast as well. I especially liked Mahershala Ali as Juan, a man who becomes a father figure to Chiron. I really hope they get some recognition come award season. 
•Direction by Barry Jenkins (who wrote the screenplay as well). He's able to tell this beautiful story that kept me engrossed in it the whole time. 

Cons:
•Nothing too major. If I had anything negative to say it would be that I felt liked the first two thirds better in than the last third in terms of the story and acting. Not that the actor who played the adult Chiron was bad by any means. He was actually pretty good. But the actors in the first two parts left such an impact that he ended up being the "weakest". 
•The ending was rather abrupt. I was so into this story and then all of a sudden the credits roll. I was like, "What?? That's it? God damn it I want more!"  Still, a very good movie that I think everyone should see. 

My Rating: 9/10

1 comment: