Friday, February 10, 2017

Fifty Shades Darker

Plot (HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!)-
Ana (Dakota Johnson) & Christian (Jamie Dornan) work on having a "normal" relationship. However, Christian is still struggling with his inner demons. As for Ana, she must deal with the jealous women who came before her. 

Pros:
•This.... was not as awful as I was anticipating. Don't get me wrong, it's not great by any means. But I don't think it's 8% on Rotten Tomatoes bad. I had a blast watching this and laughed out loud several times. So much unintentional humor. 
•This at least had a "plot", unlike the first movie. 
•Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson do a decent job in their roles. I give them credit for trying. It can't be easy to do this with a straight face. Both are way too good for this shit, especially Jamie Dornan (for a better idea of his acting abilities, I highly recommend his World War II movie Anthropoid). 
•Movie Ana is way more tolerable than book Ana. No inner goddess thank god!
•James Foley is a competent enough director. He does the best he can given the material he has to work with. He shot both this and the third movie (Fifty Shades Freed) back to back. Can't wait to see how that turns out. 

Cons:
•I still have all the same issues that I did with the books and the first movie. This is NOT romantic and any woman who thinks otherwise is a fucking idiot. Christian Grey is NOT the ideal man. He fits all the characteristics of a psychopath. If he was just a regular guy and not a billionaire, you'd be calling the cops instead of wanting to jump into bed with him. 
•Speaking of that, I'm sure you all want to know how the sex scenes were. Honestly? There weren't as many as you'd think. And what was there..... ehhh, didn't do much for me I'm sorry to say. Pretty dull actually. 
•Some of the storylines were resolved way too quickly. 
•The dialog was terrible and cheesy, but in a fun sort of way. 
•The guy that they got to play Ana's boss Jack Hyde was not a good actor at all and that's saying a lot in a movie like this. Doesn't pull off the villain role very convincingly. 
•When they first announced that Kim Basinger would be playing Elena, I was like okay, I can see this. After seeing the movie though, I don't know if it was the lighting or what but she looked awful! Can't really comment as far as her acting goes since she's not in it all that much. 


My Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment