Friday, February 23, 2018

Annihilation

Plot:
After the disappearance of her husband Kane (Oscar Isaac), Lena (Natalie Portman), a biologist, and a team  of four other women enter The Shimmer- a beautiful, mysterious, and dangerous place where she doesn’t find what she was expecting. Based on the novel by Jeff VanderMeer. 

Pros:
•I was mainly interested in this because of the cast and because I really liked the director’s (Alex Garland) last movie Ex Machina.  And while I would say Ex Machina was better, this one was still pretty good. 
•At the movies these days you see so much of the same thing. I’ll give Garland credit, he knows how to create something smart and unique. It’s hard to believe this is only his second time directing. He’s very talented and I can’t wait to see what he does next. 
•Impressive visuals. Especially when you consider they had a fairly small budget. I believe it cost somewhere around $40 million. 
•It’s a great blend of smart science fiction and horror.  Speaking of horror, while it’s not constant gore, there are a few very bloody and graphic moments. Definitely don’t see this if you have a weak stomach. 
•Some people aren’t going to care for the ending but I kind of liked it. They don’t give you all the answers but they don’t leave you completely in the dark either. 
•The score reminded me a lot of the one for Arrival. Definitely not a bad thing. 

Cons:
•It’s a VERY slow burn. Too slow at times. Very much a chore to get through at first. But it picks up in the second half. 
•Some of the dialogue was a bit cringeworthy. 
•Desperately needed some tighter editing. There’s something that’s revealed in the movie about one of the characters that’s completely unnecessary and adds nothing to the plot. 
•Not something I would say rush out to see in theaters. However, if you come across this on Netflix it’s worth watching once. Especially if you enjoy these types of movies. 

My Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment