Sunday, July 8, 2018

First Reformed

Plot:
A priest (Ethan Hawke) at a small church in Upstate New York deals with his tormented past. 

Pros:
•Just to warn you, this is not a face paced movie. At all. A majority of it is people sitting around and talking. This might bother some but I didn’t mind it at all. Infact I thought this was a great movie. Very well made and thought provoking. One of the best I’ve seen this year so far. 
•Excellent direction by Paul Schrader. 
•Ethan Hawke, whom I’ve always been a fan of, gives one of the best performances I’ve seen this year. I’m not sure how the rest of the year will play out but I’d love to see him get nominated for an Oscar. 
•Strong supporting cast as well including Amanda Seyfried and Cedric the Entertainer. 
•Beautiful locations. I believe it was filmed in the area so that’s always cool to see. 
•Normally I’m not a big fan of narration but I felt like it made sense here. 
•Strong dialog. 
•The ending. Not everyone is going to like it I’m sure but I give the director credit for not going the predictable route. 

Cons:
•While overall it’s a well directed there are a few moments where I felt like he lingered on a shot just a little too long. 
•There’s a scene towards the end and while I wouldn’t call it bad it just felt out of place. It took me out of the movie for a split second. 

My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment