Sunday, December 2, 2018

Green Book

Plot:
Based on a true story. Tony Lip (Viggo Mortensen), a working class bouncer, becomes the driver of African American classical pianist Don Shirley (Mahershala Ali) who’s on a tour in the deep South in the 1960s. 

Pros:
• What makes this movie work so well is the strong writing. Tony’s son Nick not only wrote the book the movie is based on (detailing the story of his father’s unlikely friendship with Shirley) but I believe he was one of the co-writers of the script as well. 
•Mahershala Ali is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. He and Viggo Mortensen each give award worthy performances. I thought they had really good chemistry as well. 
•If I didn’t already know ahead of time, I never would’ve guessed in a million years that Peter Farrelly directed this. When I first found out I was like wait, the guy that directed There’s Something About Mary and Dumb & Dumber? That Peter Farrelly? He does an amazing job and I hope he continues to do more movies like this. 
•Tackles a lot of tough issues but also manages to have humor and be inspiring. 
•Great soundtrack. 
•Over two hours long but never once did I feel the urge to check the time. Hell I could’ve easily sat in the theater a few more hours watching the story of these two men. 

Cons:
•Yes, it’s very cliched and predictable and filled with every single Italian stereotype you can imagine. This is the definition of an Oscar bait movie. Normally I would take points off my rating for these things, but I just love this movie so much that I’m willing to let it slide. Definitely go check this out everyone. 

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment