Friday, December 14, 2018

The Favourite

Plot:
Set in early 18th century England. A frail Queen Anne (Olivia Colman) occupies the throne with Lady Sarah (Rachel Weisz) governing in her place. When a new servant named Abigail (Emma Stone) arrives she manages to charm everyone and fill in the role as the Queen’s companion. 


This is one of those movies that’s best to watch knowing as little as possible. So I’ll be brief with my review. 

If you go into this expecting your typical period piece then you’re going to be really disappointed. The director is Yorgos Lanthimus and his movies are certainly... unique. I mean that in a good way. If you haven’t seen any of his work (such as The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer) I suggest doing so in order to get an idea of his style. If you like those by all means see this one. 

All three main actresses are amazing. I can certainly see why they’re getting a lot of recognition this awards season. 

I also loved the costumes, score, and cinematography. 

My only complaint would be that the movie does run out of steam a bit at the end. Still, I highly recommend it and can’t wait to see what this director does next. 

My Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment