Sunday, May 5, 2019

Artic

Plot:
A man (Mads Mikkelson) is stranded in the Artic after a plane crash. 


I’ll admit, I had never hear of this movie until maybe a week ago when the film club announced this would be the Sunday matinee. I’m glad they picked it because if they hadn’t, I would’ve missed out on this amazing movie. 

Yes, it’s about survival and you see a lot of the same cliches that you would see in other movies of this type. But what separates Artic from those are one, Mads Mikkelson’s brilliant performance. He’s pretty much the only character you see (aside from a woman he rescues, but she’s barely conscious the whole time) and the emotion he’s able to convey using very little dialog is inscredible. And two, unlike other survival movies his character actually isn’t stupid and makes smart decisions. He does the best he can given the situation. 

It’s also well directed and has amazing cinematography. Major props to director Joe Penna. This is his first feature length film. Before this he mainly worked in tv and did some shorts. I can’t wait to see what he does next. 

I highly recommend this, especially if you’re into survival films or you’re a fan of Mads Mikkelson. If it happens to be playing anywhere near you definitely check it out. 

My Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment