Sunday, May 19, 2019

Peterloo

Plot:

The story of the events surrounding the 1819 Peterloo Massacre. 


Pros:

• The last 20 minutes or so where they show the actual massacre was interesting yet heartbreaking at the same time. Very moving. 

•This was slightly better than the last Mike Leigh movie I saw, Mr. Turner. It didn’t make me angry at least. 

•Is a great cure for insomnia. 


Cons:

•Slow... slow.... slow! Boy did I struggle to stay awake throughout most of this film. It’s a little over two and a half hours. For the first two hours or so all it really was was a bunch of guys sitting around talking or making speeches. I get that you want to take your time setting things up but damn. This was hard to sit through. 

•While most of the actors did the best they could (a few were WAY too over the top), their characters were mostly two dimensional. 

•Poorly shot. Not only in terms of choreography but the lighting as well. Some scenes were so dimly lit you could barely make out who was who. 

•The movie was based on a MASSACRE. You would think they would’ve made it bloodier. Maybe they didn’t want to go for an R rating. I get that. But still, you can get away with quite a bit with a PG-13 if you know what you’re doing. 

•The ending was very abrupt and unsatisfying. 

•I can’t say that I recommend this movie at all. Even if you’re into history and this time period, there are far better movies out there. Don’t waste your time with this. 


My Rating: 4.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment