Sunday, July 31, 2016

Genius

Plot-
A look at Max Perkins' (Colin Firth) time as the book editor at Scribner. There, he saw the works of Thomas Wolfe (Jude Law), Ernest Hemingway (Dominic West), and many others. 

Pros:
•Wonderful performances by Colin Firth and Jude Law (even if he was a little over the top at first). I enjoyed seeing their relationship develop. They had a nice bromance going on. Great chemistry. I hope these two work together again in the future. 
•Considering this was Michael Grandage's first time directing, I thought he did a decent job. He tried really hard between the costumes and the music to recreate the 1920s. With more time and experience I think he'll be even better. 
•Guy Pearce as F. Scott Fitzgerald. He's not in the movie that much but when he is he steals the scene. 

Cons:
•The majority of the movie is shot with very bleak colors. I get why they did this but still, a little more brightness would've been nice. 
•Nicole Kidman got on my nerves. Normally you would feel sympathetic for this character but I found myself not giving a shit. 
•Tries a little too hard to be an Oscar type movie.

My Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment