Friday, July 22, 2016

Star Trek Beyond

Plot-
The crew of the USS Enterprise, led by Captain Kirk (Chris Pine), is half way through their five year mission when the ship is destroyed by an unknown group of aliens. Stranded and with no means of communication, they not  only have to find a way back to Earth but also deal with a powerful new enemy. 

Pros:
•Reminded me a lot of the original series. Definitely a good thing. 
•Direction by Justin Lin. I was so worried this would be Fast & Furious in space (it looked that way in the trailers) but it wasn't. He's very good at developing characters and actually making you care about them. I now forgive him for Tokyo Drift. 
•Strong writing by Simon Pegg. 
•Well choreographed action scenes. 
•I thought they handled Leonard Nimoy's death and his character very respectfully.  
•Sabotage scene. From what I heard from other people I thought it would be dumb but I ended up really liking it.
•I highly recommend you spend the extra money to see this in IMAX. It's the perfect movie got it. The 3D was barely noticeable but far from the worst I've seen. 

Cons:
•While I thought Idris Elba did a great job as usual, his character was poorly handled. His motivation is pretty much exactly the same as the villains in the previous two movies. And I'm sorry but you have a talented actor like Idris Elba who's fucking gorgeous and the perfect choice to play a Star Trek villain and you hide him behind all that makeup. Such a shame. 

My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment