Friday, June 9, 2017

It Comes At Night

SPOILER ALERT: While I don't think anything I've said in my review would ruin the movie for you, I'm going to add this just in case. If there are any spoilers they're only VERY minor. 

Plot:
While an unknown threat is terrorizing the world, a man named Paul (Joel Edgerton) has established a secure home in the remote forest with his wife Sarah (Carmen Ejogo) and son Travis (Kelvin Harrison Jr.). Things are put to the test when they encounter a desperate family. 

Pros:
•Joel Edgerton continues to be one of my favorite actors. Here he delivers another brilliant performance. Yes his character ends up doing some horrific things but honestly, if I were living in that world and put in the same situation I'd probably do the same. 
•Doesn't rely on blood and gore. It's very tense but in a subtle way with the long shots and music. 
•I loved the way director Trey Edward Shultz shot this movie. It has the look and feel of something from the 70s/early 80s. Nice cinematography. He's also very good with actors which I was already aware of having seen his debut movie Krisha. While I remember not really caring for that movie overall I could see his potential. I'm glad he got another chance to direct because with he's gotten even better. I'll definitely go see his next movie. 
•It's a slow burn but not once was I bored or felt the need to check the time. 

Cons:
•If you go into this expecting your typical horror movie (the way the trailers have been marketing it) then you're going to be disappointed. This is more of a post apocalyptic, atmospheric, psychological thriller with some horror elements. I'm totally fine with this type of movie and it in no way affects my rating. Just something you should be aware of if you're thinking about seeing this. 
•A few too many dream sequences for my liking. 
•The way it ends leaves more questions than answers. Not that I needed everything answered but I would've liked just a little more explanation. I walked out of the theater wondering what exactly it was the director was trying to say. 
•Be prepared to watch a lot of comedies after you see this movie. You're going to need it. This was one of the most depressing things I've seen in a long time. 

My Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment