Sunday, June 4, 2017

The Lost City of Z

Plot:
Based on the true story of Percy Fawcett (Charlie Hunnam)- a British explorer who, at the dawn of the 20th century, discovers evidence of an advanced civilization that at one time may have lived there. 

Pros:
•A wonderful, epic adventure that reminded me very much of the ones I use to watch growing up. They don't make too many movies like this anymore. I wish this had done better at the box office. 
•This is definitely the better of the two Charlie Hunnam movies I've seen this year. He's amazing here and it was interesting to see how his character developed from the beginning of the movie until the end. 
•I appreciate that director James Gray not glamorizing the jungle the way other directors might and instead showing just how brutal it is. You see men sweating and covered in dirt, getting eaten alive, wounds getting infected, and so much more. 
•Robert Pattinson does a good job as well and is unrecognizable. Had I not known ahead of time I never would've guessed it was him. He's a great actor when given the right material. 
•Some of the scenes were very dimly shot which might normally bother me but I felt it worked here. 

Cons:
•Nothing major really. Just there were a few moments where the actors were speaking low and with such thick accents that it was hard to understand what they were saying. 
•Tom Holland, who I think is great as Spider-Man, annoyed me a little in this. 

My Rating: 9/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment