Friday, September 29, 2017

Battle of the Sexes

Plot:
Based on the true story of the 1973 tennis match between Billie Jean King (Emma Stone) and Bobby Riggs (Steve Carell). 

Pros:
•Emma Stone & Steve Carell were absolutely amazing. I hope they make more movies together in the future. I know it’s still a little early, but depending on how things go I could see Emma Stone getting another Oscar nomination. 
•Such a fascinating story that, while I had heard about it and knew the outcome, I didn’t know too many details. It seems like they stayed true to what really happened. 
•Such a strong, positive message. Especially for women. 
•Really nailed down the look of the time period. 
•I am not a tennis fan at all. But damn if I wasn’t glued to the edge of my seat during that last match. Kudos to the directors. 

Cons:
•While I thought the movie was very good, it didn’t really pick up for me until it actually got to the Billy Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs match and the events leading up to it. 
•A few very brief Hollywood moments typical in a movie like this. 

My Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment