Sunday, April 15, 2018

Isle of Dogs

Plot:
After all dogs are exiled to a place called Trash Island, one 12 year old boy goes in search of his dog Spots. 

Pros:
•I tend to avoid most movies about dogs since I usually end up an emotional mess every time. But when I heard it was directed by Wes Anderson and was getting good word of mouth I knew I had to see it. I’m so glad I did. This was one of the most well made, charming movies I’ve seen in awhile. 
•Beautiful looking movie. I’ve always been a huge fan of stop motion animation. The amount of time and effort that went into every little detail is incredible. 
•An all star cast of actors (many of whom are frequent Wes Anderson collaborators) did a great job with providing voices for the characters. I especially enjoyed Bryan Cranston. 
•Well written, heartfelt, and surprisingly funny story. 
•Something both adults and kids can enjoy. Older kids though since it is PG-13 and there are several disturbing moments throughout. 
•Wonderful and respectful tribute to Japanese culture. 

Cons:
•Some people aren’t going to like the fact that only one character aside from the dogs speak English. The rest speak entirely in Japanese with no subtitles. It took some getting use to but after awhile I was fine with it. 
•I don’t consider this a spoiler since it’s brought up in the trailer but was anyone else disturbed by the fact that the American exchange student character, whom I believe they say is in high school, has a crush on a 12 year old boy? 

My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment