Friday, November 9, 2018

Bohemian Rhapsody

Plot:
Based on the “true story” of  rock group Queen from their formation to their legendary performance at Live Aid in 1985. 

Pros:
•First let me start off with the positives. I wasn’t sure if he could pull it off but Rami Maleck was brilliant with his performance as Freddie Mercury. He really put his heart into it. 
•It was really fun hearing all of the classic Queen songs that I know and love. Unfortunately I never got to see Queen in concert (I was still a kid, maybe 6 or 7, when Freddie Mercury died) but thanks to this it felt like I was there. 
•I really loved the last third of the movie.  It almost felt like it had a completely different director. 
•There are some genuinely heartfelt moments here. Like the relationship between Freddie and Mary. 
•The recreation of the entire 20 minute Live Aid performance is worth the price of admission alone. 

Cons:
•Most of the movie felt so fucking rushed with very little character development. If you’re like me and hoped to learn more about Queen watching this then you’re going to be disappointed. That’s the best word to describe this movie- disappointing. If anyone can recommend a good Queen documentary I’d love to watch it. 
•Very weak script. 
•Queen deserves way better than this. 
•I understand most “based on a true story movies” take dramatic licensing but they really do straight up lie a lot of the time. 

My Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment